View Single Post
Old 09-07-2013, 01:37 PM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardboard Junkie View Post
I would travel all the way back to 2012, to see how those "Black Swamp" cards were replicated.Dave.
Be nice, Dave. I got a good chuckle, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
My first thought is that I would go back to 1918 and shoot Chick Gandil before he ever thought of throwing the 1919 World Series.

But on second thought, baseball needed a wake up call to bring in Commissioner Landis to clean up the sport, so maybe that's not such a good idea.
Sean, The 1918 World Series is one of the things I first thought of. But with only ten minutes, I had no idea what to do. With that time restriction, I don't think there's any way I could stop it from happening. I might find Shoeless Joe Jackson and tackle him, or tell him "hey man, they're going to find out. And it will cost you the Baseball Hall of Fame". Well, after I explained to him what the Baseball Hall of Fame was going to be.

If I were going to shoot anybody, I imagine I'd be looking to shoot Arnold Rothstein. But that would end up making Boardwalk Empire a lot less interesting. So, there is that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jd View Post
I could think of a lot of games, but probably the one that annoyed me the most was the Armando Galarraga 28 out perfect game. I'd definitely hand Jim Joyce a pair of glasses and explain to him how to tell whose foot touches a bag first. It needs to be repeated often that since that game, Galarraga has a 5-16 career record and he spent this entire past season in AAA. He had a 21-18 career record at the time. I still get mad watching that replay.
You're not alone, John. That was one of the worst calls I've ever seen. I don't fume like I did when it happened, as Joyce came out and apologized. But he still screwed Galarraga, and cost us a really nice moment in baseball history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagecpa View Post
I'd go back about 25 years and buy some shares of Cisco, Microsoft and Apple. I would have enough money to buy any cardboard at today's prices.

Baseball related, I would go back about 11 months and explain the infield fly rule to a couple of umps before a one game playoff.
You're talking my language now, Mike! Before I screwed my back up, I worked several IPOs. Let me say, there are two times a broker loathes: tax season (especially right before the April 15th deadline--as a CPA, I know you understand! Nothing like spending ten hours on the phone with a client digging through reorganization histories to come up with cost basis), and the time between when a company making it's initial offering has started allocating shares, and when it gets to the secondary market. Thinking about that is making my temples ache, haha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilKing00 View Post
I would go back to the day yahoo came out as an IPO, and STOP my self from selling it 10 min after I bought it. I made $1000 in 10 min....UGH what a fool. I still keep the bought receipt in my card collection cabinet to remind my self of the idiocy.

Anyway - if we aren't talking about making money.......

My other option would be to go back to that Babe Ruth called shot game and see what really happened.
Steve, this is another one I thought of, though I don't know if ten minutes would be enough for me. I'd want to see the events leading up to the point and bomb. If I recall, the Cubs fans at Wrigley were giving it too him pretty good.

As far as Yahoo's IPO. Ouch. The IPO price was $24.50, and it's at $28.17 now. But it's also split like 5 times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenPop View Post
I've just finished reading a bunch of great time travel stories (Stephen King's excellent "11/22/63" and Audrey Niffenegger's "The Time Traveller's Wife" and Kate Atkinson's "Life After Life" and Octavia Butler's "Kindred"... highly recommended all!) ...

First of all: Need WAY more than 10 minutes!!!!! How about an hour? Or a Day? (so we could take in an actual game??!!!!

But your thread, your rules...

On the serious front (Baseball-wise only): Yeah... Stop Clemente and others from getting on that plane... or distract Carl Mays or Ray Chapman...

On the lighter side: Visiting that card store you pictured with a wad of cash... or (even better) a T206 factory with a wad of cash and a "I Love Honus!" sign.
Oh yeah, John. I know we'd need more than ten minutes. Maybe I'd sell some of my stock to get Doc a little more money for the juice. But, you see, the problem is if we make it an hour, then we'll all want two. Then it becomes a day, then a week. Pretty soon you're sending postcards from outside Yankee Stadium watching the '27 Yankees win it all.

Chapman's beaning did cross my mind. That was a tragedy

Two others crossed my mind. Tony Conigliaro and Herb Score.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepony View Post
Pretty easy, I'd go back to 1970 and play catch with my dad
That's a great idea, Dave Every time I see the end of Field of Dreams, I can't help but tear up. Thankfully for me, my dad is still with me. But I can't play baseball anymore because of physical limitations. I might go back in time to when I wasn't so dinged up, and throw it around with him again.

Great answers so far, everybody! Keep up the creativity!

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.