View Single Post
Old 09-10-2013, 06:04 AM

Default Another newby to Net54

So, really I'm about 2 months old, posted a few times, but never really said "Hello." Rob from Philly (fun Eagles game last night, but that's for another board)-love all things baseball. Got back into the hobby recently after an 15-16 year hiatus (36 now) and still looking to find my way-more on that after a brief bio.

Back in the day prior to grading, my father and I were dealers at the local trade shows and flea markets. My interest in the hobby at an early age got him to relive his glory baseball days. Initially, I was into the "new stuff" and he dealt in the vintage. Before long, if it was beyond the 1960's I wasn't touching it. Then, it was off to college for me, and the collection was sold over a few years. I think my favorite card I ever owned was a super clean, crisp, bright 1953 Bowman Color Pee Wee Reese. Can't imagine it grading less than an 8.5.

So, current day....I started dabbling a little bit from my era-buying boxes of 1983 Topps and OPC trying to score a few 10's. Was a ton of fun opening the packs...talk about some bad cuts and centering though during those years...lots of 8's and 9's. Maybe 2 Gem 10's out of 4 boxes. Nevertheless, got me right back in.

Started looking at the T206's as a set to start acquiring....just too many great stories, websites, about the set, now all the hype with the scarce backs, etc. Definitely tough to find any bargains out there anymore scouring through eBay for hours and hours-at least from what I am seeing. Seems to probably be the most collected set around. Will take any advice...

Also started looking at some of the boxing tobacco sets...not nearly the same size market as baseball cards, but the sets are much smaller, so I felt these were something I could start and complete in much less time.

So, that's my brief bio. Welcoming all thoughts, feedback, input, etc.

Rob