View Single Post
Old 09-22-2013, 06:21 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
Yankee fan here:

I say no, but there's no shame in that. There's lot's of excellent pitchers not in the HOF.

Also, regarding general stats throughout his career. Anybody who has watched Andy pitch on a regular basis, knows he has always pitched to the scoreboard.

We all saw his ERA plummet when he went to Houston.

In a close game Andy would battle with guys on base and was known for getting himself out of lots of jams. However, if Yanks had a big lead, Andy was a lot more aggressive and had no problem surrendering home runs and hits in general if it meant getting his team off the field quicker.

When it came to surrendering a lead however, he always knew if was time to batten down the hatches and stem the bleeding himself, instead of leaving it for the bullpen.

I think in today's Sabremetric heavy world, those type of pitchers are under-appreciated. Jack Morris is obviously another who falls into this category. His overall stats are not great when looked at as a whole, but for some reason he's always winning games, keeping his team in the game no matter what the score, and coming through big.........in big games, like a big game pitcher is supposed to do.
Mets fan but I appreciated Pettitte for the reasons that Dave mentioned. I don't think he gets in...the stats aren't there.

Jeff