View Single Post
Old 10-14-2013, 01:08 PM
Al Richter

Default Variants

Adam---while I collect variants of any kind my personal definition of a true variations is similar to yours, a card intentionally changed by the manufacturer. I think Bob Lemke had moved to that sort of definition as well and as a result removed some previously listed variations from the Standard Catalog, for example several of the border break listings.

But the Campos card and some of the other scans above show that no one definition fits all. I think the border break Campos is a print defect, but I think the black star may be as well. I say that because I have now seen several partial black stars. But the hobby certainly has given it the status of a true variation, as well as the Herrer and Bakep.

I posted the multiple scans above after the post above by Michael Wentz, who has the two Campos missing border cards up on ebay now, saying that he viewed both Campos cards as true variations along with any card in which there is a noticeable change in the structural elements of the card. Although my definition is more narrow, there is no recognized hobby wide definition that I am aware of. To each his own.

I was attempting to show in the above scans that no matter what definition one adopts, there will be grey areas, it is not black and white.

But I simply collect any variant, cards that differs for whatever reason, if it is interesting to me . Like your Zolio

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 10-14-2013 at 01:09 PM.