View Single Post
Old 10-17-2013, 05:50 PM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by batsballsbases View Post
Bill,
You are so right . When I did the interview ,the stories he told me were just amazing! Talked about Jackie Robinson and how they would "bless" a rookies new pair of spikes with tobacco juice! Boy once people like Mike are gone the stories will be lost forever. Sad to think that.
Oh, to have been a fly on the wall when he was telling 'em.

The NY Times article mentioned that while he hadn't been a part of the '47 Brooklyn team that Jackie was a part of in breaking the color barrier, he was there during spring training, and refused to sign the petition looking to force Jack off the team. He was the opening day shortstop the year before, though he was primarily a catcher. I wonder if he ever got to throw to Jackie over at first (he began at first before moving over to second). The story also mentions how Campy credits Mike with helping him defensively as a catcher. That's pretty incredible. These are the little tidbits that need to be saved. They add extra wrinkles to the history of the game, and Mike was certainly in the middle of it all. I am looking forward to reading John's interview after dinner.

I don't even want to think about any more of these older greats passing. I was in mourning for a week when Musial died. It's going to be really hard for me when Ralph Kiner, Ernie Banks and Hank Aaron start to go. I really hope that these interviews, pictures and videos are well preserved for future generations.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.