View Single Post
Old 10-26-2013, 02:12 AM

Default My Latest Bronze - c1916 cast in Newark N.J.

photo c1916BowlerBronzeFront1_zps41977f02.jpg
9 1/2" tall x 8 1/2" wide, Bronze of a Bowler, marked copyright 1916, cast by Griffoul Newark N.J.

Got this bronze of a bowler yesterday...phew...one of the nicest bronze statues I've ever owned...very dramatic....I especially like that the base is part of the art work in that it's modeled to simulate the wood slats of the bowling alley floor...

It has a foundry mark on the side of the base that reads "Griffoul Newark N.J."...and the top of the base gives the year it was sculpted...So although it is not signed by the sculptor...we know it's American...and from 1916.

I have never seen this bronze before...and I can not find any reference on the internet on it, or another example. No record of one being sold at auction...or in the collection of a museum or a bowling hall of fame....that is a little unusual but it's a good thing...inferring it's very rare...

Now most will not appreciate that the casting has old world lineage....Auguste Griffoul was the son of Jean-Baptiste Griffoul who cast more than 100 works by Rodin at his foundry in north east France...and Auguste continued casting works by Rodin after his father passed away...then later moved to New Jersey where he set up a foundry...and cast my bowler....

Without some research I don't know much about Jean-Baptiste and his son Auguste, past vaguely recalling the name...but Rodin was one of the most famous sculptors ever and if he used Jean-Baptiste to cast his work I would assume Jean-Baptiste would have been one the best foundrymen...in turn he would have likely taught his son....

So anyway...It looks better in person than the photos....Originally it had an ebony patina that as you can see is wearing away...which is fine as I actually like the natural bronze color underneath better...

photo c1916BowlerBronzeBack_zps5188984d.jpg

photo c1916BowlerBronzeBase_zps5726808e.jpg

photo c1916BowlerBronzeDate_zps9b1416af.jpg

photo c1916BowlerBronzeFoundry_zpsa6778b2a.jpg

photo GriffoulFoundryBio_zps4aa4cac9.jpg

photo BowlerCrp_zps73739626.jpg