Thread: Conlon Type 2
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2013, 08:08 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

A digital photo can be original, type one (depending on the condition on which it was shot of course), but is a digital photograph not a real photograph. I volunteer in a art gallery, and many artist make digital photos these days with no film in involved.

I was at a reception looking at a French artist's photos on large sheets of aluminum and said to her "Are these digital or real photogaphs?"
She said "Digital is a real photograph."
I said "No it isn't.'

Other than that, we had a pleasant conversation. Hers were digital.

And, yes, she was cute and spoke with a French accent.

Also, original isn't ordinarily used in vacuum. In normal language attached to something else "original photo" "original digital print" "original T206." It's usually in context to the words it it precedes. Original in the absolute sense is a philosophical topic. You can say original has somewhat different meanings in different context. The images on the 1933 Goudeys are reproductions of photographs, most will say its fair to call one "an original 1933 Goudey Babe Ruth." Maybe original isn't the perfect term ('Oxford dictionary definition b'), but it's used within the context of cards and communicating to other collectors. And I'm sure most collectors are aware that the images on 'original' 1952 and 53 Topps are reproductions of paintings.

Also, something to think about, an original straight from the camera digital image posted online is an original image viewed by many on their computers.

But, yes, I think digital photographs can be type 1s.

Last edited by drcy; 11-14-2013 at 08:44 AM.