View Single Post
Old 11-17-2013, 03:26 PM

Default Yes, I am thankful to have achieved the most valuable cards I wish to own

Two Mickey Mantle cards--the Stahl-Meyer Franks masterpieces of 1954, and 1953.

I once owned another masterpiece, the 1952 Topps, the one with slightly darker color. I miss that one terribly. I was content and most pleased with that one. I sold it to raise money for a down payment on a house. I wish I had it back, because I loved it. I miss it. It was simply beautiful, with nary a print spot. Perfect picture registry. I hate talking about it. If I hadn't had such an important reason to part with it, I would be daily chewing myself out.

I've mentioned this already a few times, but it's not like anyone remembers or cares, so since it pertains to the thread initiator: 24 years ago I took out a half page ad in SCD to raise money to buy the '54 Stahl-Meyer. I sold what seemed like a ton of common cards to get that one uncommon card. Later, it graded out SGC 50 VG-EX. From their grading criteria, it could justifiably be re-graded to be a 55 or even a 60. It presents a whole lot better. Even Memory Lane Auctions said mine presented much better than one in the same grade that they had sold prior to seeing mine. Anyway, the conclusion is the same----it was well worth the effort and trade-off of all those cards, for the money to buy that one single card, a great beauty and rarity in its own right.

Salute----Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 11-18-2013 at 10:32 AM. Reason: to articulate my point a tad better