View Single Post
Old 11-25-2013, 02:38 PM

Default JimStinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygary View Post
I always wondered what Schwamb's autographed looked like. I wrote and illustrated a story about him a few years ago, he was truly one of the more interesting and infamous guys ever to play baseball in the 20th century and a sad story of talent gone to waste. A helpless alcoholic, the story of him sneaking a case of beer into to Browns bullpen to take the edge off would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

If anyon's interested, my story is HERE
Gary, I really enjoyed reading that I was curious about the details of the actual trial and his life after prison, and the story answered that. I've seen his autograph on team balls but little else. Was able to locate all of his military papers in the archives but no draft card.

Also I have a vague recollection that there used to be a collector in upstate NY who's hobby it was to track down a lot of players , that were either missing or would not sign through the mail and get their autographs by actually going to their houses. Faye Throneberry who would not sign through the mail but would sign in person when prodded, told me he showed up at his farm one day out of the blue with a stack of 3x5's and a briefcase , can't remember the guys name but he sold his collection about 15 years ago.

Oh and with regards to Blackie Schwamb , I read somewhere that his fastball had been clocked at over 100 mph one of the reasons they tried so hard to straighten him out.

Vintage autographs for sale daily
stinsonsports.com