View Single Post
Old 12-01-2013, 08:14 AM
Mikeknapp

Cool story. I was never a Mets fan but thought both Strawberry and Gooden were tragedies. I never understood how the Mets front office handled them. They had to know fueling a 19 and 21 year old with a wad of cash and celebrity and setting them loose in New York without adequate supervision was a recipe for disaster. I believe in personal accountability but the Mets were negligent with those two young men. You would think that they would have assigned chaperones or mentors to protect their investment in those two talents from predators and their own immature self-destruction. God only knows what their careers might have been if the adequate support system had been put in place. I think back to my own college days and am embarrassed by my own stupidity and debauchery. Although it would have been to fun to find out, I'm certain had I been in Strawberry's or Gooden's shoes at that same age I would have suffered a much worse fate than academic probation and unexplainable grass stains in my underwear.