View Single Post
Old 12-03-2013, 11:02 PM
Bill Gregory

This Mantle is a fake, and I am 100% sure.

First of all, determine which Mantle card is being considered. There is a black border around the Yankee logo. Additionally, the black border surrounding the card itself is missing a pixel in the lower left hand corner. The front pictured represents a type "A" '52 Topps Mantle variation.

http://home.comcast.net/~52mantle/52toppsmantlereal.htm

Now, examine the back of the card.

Per this '52 Mantle authentication site I use quite frequently, the "s" in "DiMaggio's" should line up directly under the "h" in "right". It clearly does not. Instead, the "s" lines up under the "t". Also, if you look at the two red lines which wrap "major & minor league batting record", the bottom line extends out beyond the top line. These two alignment issues point towards the back purchased being a type "B" example card. Additionally, the stitching on the baseball in the upper left corner is darker, and points to the right. So, the back pictured represents a type "B" '52 Topps Mantle variation.

I have never heard of a type "A" front and a type "B" back on the same card. Knowing this, I feel comfortable saying this card is not authentic.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.

Last edited by the 'stache; 12-03-2013 at 11:03 PM.