View Single Post
Old 01-23-2014, 09:05 AM
I. "Iggy" G0nz@lez
"rich"

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipperhank44 View Post
I'm not a Goudey expert, but I think the writing on the back is actually the text "Gehrig" bleeding through from the front, much like the red box on the bottom is bleeding through on the back. I do believe that bleeding through is a good sign that many counterfeits lack, however I've not seen the name bleeding through in my limited experience, but it seems plausible. Also, it looks like the red box at the bottom extends beyond the picture border on the right side, which I believe is also a positive sign. Your concerns about the color and holder are legitimate. I'll defer to the experts now.
The Gehrig is authentic, no question about that, but keep in mind that nothing can be 100% guaranteed without having the card in the palm of your hand. I don't think the card has been bleached, but truth be told, my internet expert opinion PHD diploma never did touch on the subject of blondes.

On another note, Chipperhank's assessment is pretty good with the exception of the bleeding part. The text and red-ink that is commonly seen on the back of Goudey's is actually a wet sheet transfer. In my opinion, the Goudey's are way too thick to exhibit ink bleeding from the front. My final critique, since I am on a bit of a roll, fake Goudey Gehrig's and Ruth's have been seen with the red-ink transfer on the back side, so that trait should NEVER be on anyone's "Goudey's Gehrig mental authentication checklist".

Lovely Day.

Last edited by iggyman; 01-23-2014 at 09:06 AM.