View Single Post
Old 02-10-2014, 04:59 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcoz View Post
I have two Wagner 4's in both Orange & Blue. I wonder what those values are now and will be later. It's debatable, but many believe in valuing cards you look at demand then rarity. I do think the other colors will draw attention after this high end group is sold.
Value is directly proportional to demand over supply in a dynamic setting, with these values subject to nearly constant change. However, many overlook the fact that the supply portion of the equation is not the total number in existence at any given time, but the number that are or are likely to become available in a given, reasonable period of time. Pure collectors, such as most of the members of this board, tend to purchase and hold for years, decades, quarter and half-centuries, as opposed to speculators and pure investors, who, in looking for the quick and profitable flip, tend to hold for only as short a time as necessary, thereby increasing the available supply for the defined reasonable period of time. It was for this reason that the most prolific writer in the coin collecting field, Q. David Bowers, deemed the collector "king."

In my view, prices may drop for the short term, but will not take too long to rise again, as most of these gems are likely to be put away in short order and removed from the marketplace for many years.

Best wishes to all--interesting post!

Larry