View Single Post
Old 02-12-2014, 09:01 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
I use photo mailers for all flat items that I send out. The same rule that has the 3/4" thick disclaimer also allows for packages that are packed in a "rigid" manner to be sent with tracking. I have mailed thousands of photos and cards in these things and only once encountered a postal worker who still balked at them being sent 1st Class. They did it consistently, so the buyer in that town simply reminded me whenever he bought something, and I made sure to bulk up the package.

I think it's a ridiculous rule too. I get that they don't want you slapping tracking on something like a letter. That's fine. But if I were a postal employee and had to choose between handling 100 flats that would stack or nest flat against each other vs. 100 bubble mailers puffed up with peanuts in every one, I know which I would choose!
According to my local PO, the two issues are unrelated. Ridgid or 1/4 thick and up is a package, (or a flat if it's only sort of ridgid like most photo mailers) And tracking starts at 3/4 thickness for stuff that's not priority or express mail. Fortunately the one package I had sent back for postage due was going to a government official and he was very understanding of the extra day to repack it in a thicker package.

And the supervisor was interested in figuring out who had written up the rejection, because they wanted extra postage based on a rate that was nearly a year obsolete!

Steve B