View Single Post
Old 02-14-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMPEP View Post
... to provide an illustration of why this is so dumb ... Let's look at this Huggins & Scott auction:

http://www.hugginsandscott.com/cgi-b...l?itemid=65097

Right now you can get a Yount AND Brett uncut rookie sheet for $475 (plus all the other cards). These are PSA 10s if you cut them out correctly (as many folks have done - including the only PSA 10 for the 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle).
The only problem with this is, assuming PSA is on top of their game, it can be difficult to get sheet-cut cards to pass PSA grading. A competent grader should be able to distinguish between an original factory cut and a modern man-made cut. Also, you need to consider surface flaws like wrinkles, print spots, fading, etc. The cut may be "gem mint" but the surfaces might by NM at best.

A big part of the mystique and value of these super high grade cards is that all the stars had to align at the factory in order for a gem mint card to exist. This is why a perfect card cut by hand from a sheet will never hold the same value as perfect card from the factory. I don't collect high grade cards as I find more bang for my buck in the midgrade range, but to each their own

Quote:
BUT the REAL value ... is the complete uncut sheet. Anyone can find a high grade card of any Topps player to buy ... How many uncut sheets are left out there?

There is ONE uncut 1952 Topps Mantle sheet out there. There are 2,000+ graded 1952 Topps Mickey Mantles (by PSA alone).
Much of the value of any item is created by supply and demand. Yes, the supply of vintage, original uncut sheets is very small, but not many collectors specialize in uncut sheets. This is why a PSA 9 Brett RC will cost more than the complete uncut sheet with a Brett -- supply and (more importantly) demand.

Quote:
Does being #1 in the registry means so much to these folks?

Wow.
Patrick
Yes, for some it is a competition. Different collectors will get excited or passionate over different things. The key is to collect what you like and not expend too much effort trying to legitimize or validate what others choose to collect. It's all about the love of the game (® registered trademark, Love of the Game Auctions ).