View Single Post
Old 02-17-2014, 07:03 AM
Tom Boblitt

I started a quest to build some sets last year for some reason. Used to be 100% pre-war, then sold a lot and have mostly done nonsports since. Last year, on a whim, I bought a 1960 starter set from a friend with 350 or so cards. Then a local shop owner got in a really nice batch of 1960's which I bought and got tons of the stars. I ultimately finished 1960 and then bought a 1961 set minus 15-20 cards from another friend. Upgraded and finished that set, bought a 1968 from Legendary and only had to add a couple to finish that one off. Then I started 1952 low number and am at 288/310 on that one along with starts on 1959, 1963, 1965 and am pretty close on them.

I've found buying large lots or near sets or 'starter' sets is a great way to go then pick off small lots of high numbers off ebay and wind up buying singles from battersbox, joesvintagesportscardsii or siriussports on ebay works pretty well. While you're buying closer to 'retail' from those three sellers, they've got impeccable customer service and offer a fantastic selection of cards in multiple grades. Have enjoyed building sets that way as funds are available and from sales on ebay. Have sold off a lot of dupes on the BST that I picked up along the way and met some great people in the process.

On a lot of the Mantles or big $ rookies, I've tried to buy PSA5/PSA6 stars and kind of set snipes on them and hope I win them in the range I'm looking for. I try to get them at really competitive prices and use cardtarget to see what they've sold for and be in the lower 30-40%. Sooner or later, I'll pick them off.....worked for clean copies of my 1959 Mantle/Gibson, 1960 Mantle/Mantle AS, etc. Generally try to find really nice centered copies in the 5-6 range and just hope the moderate snipes hold sooner or later.

Good luck on your quest(s)!

Last edited by autograf; 02-17-2014 at 07:06 AM.