View Single Post
Old 02-25-2014, 10:16 AM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
Ok that is what I was wondering with the back markings. Since they both do have imperfections that Ben's don't is it yours is still a later version from the same negative (type 2) that got worn after years (and may even be the reason for the closer crop)?

EDIT: Well I see that an original negative shows it wasn't worn. Is it possible there was a copy of the negative made that has been worn down?
White areas would not be the result of a negative being "worn". Scratches or wearing off of the emulsion surface would allow more light through the film resulting in black areas on the print. White areas on the print would be a result of something opaque blocking any light from passing through the film in that area, hence my suggestion that there may have simply been dirt or something on the film at the time the prints were produce that has since been cleaned or simply brushed away. I don't think any of the prints shown so far were produced from duplicate/copy negatives. Other than the colorized one I showed, which was produced by Brace from the original negative but at a later date, all of the others appear to have been produced by Burke. Exactly when in Burke's "reign" they were produced is tough to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by batsballsbases View Post
Lance,
What markings are on the back of the colorized photo?
The back only had "Gehrig, Lou" penned at the top in Brace's usual hand (I say had, because I no longer have the photo, just the scans). That particular print was done by Brace at a later date for use in production of his Bra-Mac photo series, which were smaller "colorized" versions of Burke's photos of players from the 1930's. He used 8x10 prints, sometimes original Burkes from the 1930's, sometimes more modern restrikes, that were colored by hand by painting or colored pen, then re-shot them to produce the smaller 3x5 photos that he sold in groups of 24 over a period of several years.

Last edited by thecatspajamas; 02-25-2014 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Grammatical