View Single Post
Old 02-25-2014, 10:55 AM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by batsballsbases View Post
Lance,
Since Im not as versed in how the photos were made maybe you can answer a question for me then. How come on mine and marks photo the corners are rounded in the photo and the paper. But yours and bens and the Bra Mack photos have square corners? Wouldnt that indicate the possiblity of another negative for the photo. And can another negative be made of the same photo? Just curious. I do believe ALL the photos shown are the real deal just that they were all made maybe at different times.
The rounded/clipped corners has nothing to do with the negative at all. It is a feature of some of the standard photo stocks, similar to how you see deckle-edged prints. There are no deckle-edged negatives. Burke used a wide variety of photo stocks for his prints, including both "rounded" and "squared" corner types, glossy, silk and matte finishes, single and double-weight thicknesses, and some standard RPPC stock (though most of the RPPC's you see with the pre-printed divided backs were produced after Burke's death).

As to whether he used certain stocks during certain periods, that is very difficult to tell since he did not date his prints, and is not something that I've looked into as yet. And when I refer to Burke's "reign" as photographer, I'm talking 1929 to 1948. Prior to 1929 he wasn't photographing ball players, and in 1948 he had a career-ending heart attack at which point he turned the business over to George Brace. Any photo with George Burke's stamp on the back would have been produced in that time frame.

Last edited by thecatspajamas; 02-25-2014 at 10:56 AM.