View Single Post
Old 02-27-2014, 12:59 AM

Default Thanks Much

Thanks for the kind words all, glad you enjoy…What a find that Times Square photo was…the span, depth, and clarity doesn’t get much better…

photo InsideTrolley_zps63d91271.jpg

For baby boomers and older this isn't necessary...but for the younger uninitiated I’ll explain, these types of signs are referred to as trolley car signs by collectors today, because they were displayed overhead around the interior of trolley cars. Every kind of product from soap to cigarettes advertised on them…And there were a few sports one…

photo LuckyStrikeBBCollaged_zps0d98f50e.jpg

photo LoydWaner_zps2141230a.jpg

photo HarryHeilmann_zpsc33d7098.jpg

Lucky Strike Cigarettes issued a series of sports ones mostly big name baseball players…plus some other sports…I think I recall a yellow one with golfer Gene Sarazen…and I may have seen a tennis one. I also found the original art work for another Lucky Strike football one featuring Erwin Gehreke, another All American at Harvard in 1924…So Lucky Strike probably made signs of it…I found it in a previous Huggins and Scott auction....

photo Front_zpsdd39d88d.jpg

photo 6_zps66e92f72.jpg

photo OmegaOilTrackRunner_zps18e1b090.jpg

And just in case some of the younger generation may not know what a trolley car is...see below..they ran on electricity...

photo georgetown-trolley-car_zpsc897c160.jpg

photo SanDiegoTrolleys_zps5e16e874.jpg