Thread: My Hobby Mentor
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2014, 09:49 AM
Lee Hen.ebry

I jumped back into the hobby 10 years ago when I started college, after about an 8 year absence. Before my hiatus, I had collected new stuff and 1950's baseball. Shortly before I left the hobby for awhile, I bought 2 mid grade T206's from an unknown dealer at a local card show. This dealer had many beautiful T206's, but all I could afford were 2 commons from the discount pile. They were marked $10 each! I quickly picked out the best 2 of the bunch and he let me have both cards for $15. I was very happy with my purchase and still have both cards today (Hooks Wiltse throwing and Boss Schmidt). These 2 cards kindled my interest in prewar then, and when I found the cards years later (I knew where they were, just forgot about them for a little while), they ignited my interest. So, the unknown dealer who cut me a deal deserves mention.

My dad also helped me along with my hobby. He collects vintage football cards sporadically, but always encouraged my passion for collecting baseball. Early on, he would take me to shows, card shops, and occasionally buy me a card. While my mom thought this was a waste of time and money, she would sometimes do the same.

Ok, fast forward to college. I commuted to undergrad and recieved a full scholarship. Needless to say, I had a little money to spend from working. I began buying off of eBay and then found the forum. Once on, I began to chat with other members via the chat room and e-mail. Some people I did deals with early on included Michael Sarno, David Rosenberg, and Joe Jones. All of these members not only gave me great bargains, but helped me navigate the hobby early on. MVSNYC increased my knowledge of rare backs and sold me some duplicates he had (only the likes of Hindu, Lenox, Uzit, etc.). I still have most of these cards today. David was a constant chat room participant, but more importantly helped me hone my business skills for the hobby (bidding strategy, buying timing, margins, etc.). We did a few deals that came out good for both of us....I met David at the national a few years ago, which was very cool after years of chatting online. Joe was active on the forum for awhile and collected many of the same things I did. He offered advice when needed and even traded me one of my prized collectibles I had been begging him for for years.

Many other people have helped me with my collecting pursuits, probably more than I remember. All of these little things other collectors have done for me mean a lot too. Combining all of the small breaks and snipits of knowledge they provided has turned into a significant benefit for me over the years.

Lee