View Single Post
Old 02-28-2014, 05:18 PM
Mike Dugan

Baseball books certainly have a place in the memorabilia side of this forum and there are some folks with unbelievable collections out there.

Any person wanting to build a library should consider the four volume Baseball Bibliography by Myron Smith which I believe is still available from McFarland. Its' scope is astonishing. Once you get the hang of it you will be able to find out what is out there and then searching abe.books will give you some idea on values though I do think they tend to run higher that most can be found.

I keep a scan of older titles especially if jackets are shown, it gives me an idea as to color and condition. Most older titles I own I place jackets in Brodart covers for protection.

I own around 2,000 baseball volumes but from what I've read on this board, many of our members have much deeper collections with more of the classic early editions. I have spent the last couple of years working on my football books and also use Myron Smith's College and Pro Bibliographies for guidance.