View Single Post
Old 03-06-2014, 10:36 AM
Fr3d mcKi3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
I can't check the Beckett OPG here at work but I'll check at home. If not, then you create what you have and we'll figure out how to get this into the hobby.

Rich
Thanks Rch. I don;t have Beckett's but I could not find them in the 2011 SCD Standard Catalog.

Just heard from a fellow collector who grew up in Pittsburgh he said:

Back in the day, the Pirates would make all kinds of public appearances for retailers, local parks, little leagues, etc. During the summers we looked forward to the visits from someone from the Pirates at our neighborhood summer park baseball program. That’s where I met Roberto Clemente and Bill Mazeroski – and let me tell ya that was one very exciting day!

I have been unable to find any information on these photos, although I am sure that search of the archives of the Pittsburgh Post Gazette would yield an answer. Based on the language on the photos, these appear to have been given away at an in-store event. It is odd that May 26, 1960 was a Thursday: not exactly a day when there would be a lot of shoppers downtown. But according to the schedule this was an off day for the team.

I have never seen a checklist but have put together the attached one from what I have seen over the years. I am sure there are more of these to be discovered.

His checklist:

(Issued in, 1959, 1960 and 1961)
(All appear to have facsimile autographs)

Roberto Clemente (portrait, similar to Exhibit card)(date unknown)
Forrest “Smoky” Burgess (sitting with three bats)(1960)
Forrest “Smoky” Burgess (standing to waist)(1959)
Bob Friend (PFT)(1960)
Dick Groat (batting to waist)(1960)
Dick Groat (batting to waist)(1961)
Vern Law (PFT – horizontal)(1960)
Bob Skinner (standing with four bats)(1960)
Dick Stuart (batting to waist)(1960)

Hopefully Bob Lemke will see this, though he is not into doing stuff like this any longer.

Fred