View Single Post
Old 03-07-2014, 12:01 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Andy, I don't think you are being thick-headed and argumentative, but I don't think you get Ben's point. I'm saying that because you keep focusing on his comments about aesthetics, and aesthetics are always simply opinion whereas collectible value is not.

Forgive me if this example is lame, but it's the best I can do on three cups of coffee: Let's say two new collectors got into a bidding war and one of them wins an aesthetically-pleasing photo for $2,000. Later, this collector has to sell his photos, and at auction gets $300 - the value that more experienced collectors felt it was worth all along, and the reason why they dropped out of the bidding at $300. What if he originally bid on the item because of a respected AH's description of its collectible merits, and the descriptions were misleading?

The above is starting to happen, but it's not happening to Ben. I think he's simply trying to help it not happen to you either.
All the conversation was about was the aesthetics. If he was changing the topic from aesthetics to collectible value that was not really illustrated. In the end he stated "this is not one of the best or THE best Ruth photos on the planet." He did not say that it wasn't worth very much and give an estimate.
To me collectible value is only based off aesthetics (the entire reason my baseball card type collection doesn't have an e91 or a lot of strip cards). Other's put collectible value at rarity, some even put it in resale value. Everyone has to decide for themselves what makes something of value when it comes to collecting.

Every person who pays money to collect items has to know what the value of an item is to that individual person. It should NEVER matter what everyone else thinks the item should be worth. If it is authentic and isn't a scam then it just doesn't matter. I understand it is Ben's thinking also that other's opinions shouldn't trump the facts which is why he says the auction house shouldn't give their opinion, but that's just it, it is only an opinion. I really don't think it matters if the auction seller says it is their all-time favorite. In all honesty they just now made it IMPOSSIBLE to say that about another Ruth photo so if they say it about the next one also then we can say that they have no accountability, but that isn't the case here. I believe when I see personal comments put into the auctions it just shows the passion of the seller.

Last edited by bn2cardz; 03-07-2014 at 12:02 PM.