Thread: Spring Training
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2014, 07:38 AM
Rick

...been back a week to the cold & snow. I wish I was still out their.
We saw five games, four at the new Cubs park and one at the facility the Reds & Indians share. I really enjoy seeing the high end prospects early in their major league career; Baez, Soler, etc. The new Cubs park is nice, maybe too big for the cozy spring training atmosphere that is so enjoyable (10,000 to 14,000 fans) Traffic getting in and out is just as bad as Wrigley too. One game, against the Indians at Goodyear ballpark,had a much smaller crowd with easier access in and out, our seats were second row above the Cubs dugout. The park is nice, a bit smaller and more intimate. The MLBPA had a silent auction at Goodyear of signed photos, bats, balls, jerseys. I bid on a signed Mike Trout jersey but lost out to someone paying the "buy now price" right at the end, he paid a couple hundred dollars more than my bid. However, I did score high bid on thee signed photos: b/w Monte Irvin (NYG) sliding into home, b/w Luis Aparicio (CWS) and a color, limited edition 24/27, Mike Trout head first slide . I would have liked the Trout jersey but the three photos were considerably less than the jersey. At Cubs park I picked up a signed Fergie Jenkins autobiography, a ball signed by Gaylord Perry and a cool b/w photo of Larry Doby, Satchel Paige and Mudcat Grant signed by Grant. Fergie is always at Cubs Park with a player raising money for his foundation. Now I can't wait for the season to start....and warm weather.