View Single Post
Old 04-16-2014, 09:27 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I was on my way to lunch today and was thinking about the Goudey Ruth I just won in auction. And I was thinking how freaking crazy we collectors are. I called the auction company twice to make sure that the tiniest of white print dots isn't on the card, which shows on his cap in the scan. I was willing to overlook the dark cream, softened corners, but if that needle head sized dot were actually there I probably wouldn't have bid (that high of a price). We are a crazy bunch when it comes to our collecting.... I don't have it in hand but here it is again.....
Leon, you are smart to ask about those mysterious 'dots'. Several years ago I won a NM T206 Matty through an auction house - it had one of those white dots on it, which you and I discussed the next day after the auction ended (it turned out there were 2-3 NM T206's with dots of paper loss). I was discussing the card with another hobby friend, via email that night, and he told me he had called the auction house and they confirmed that the white dot was paper loss. I panicked, as I had won the Matty, but I called the auction house and they immediately removed it from my invoice. It sure sucked, as I got it for about 75% of its value, but I guess that was because I was the only one who did not ask.

Now I always ask.