View Single Post
Old 04-17-2014, 09:32 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
Hi Matt, I don't know if I fully agree with this at least for cards in grade 4. (Great card, btw, Leon!) Leon's 4 will probably appreciate at a greater rate than a typical 4, but I doubt that it would generally surpass the grade of a typical 5. So there will still be band that it will be locked into. Cards graded Authentic or Poor, are very different, on the other hand, like your M101-5 Ruth. There can be a huge difference in eye appeal among these cards, as cards can have NM visual appeal, but just have a pinhole or slight back damage that drops the cards technical grade to Authentic or Poor. These cards can appreciate far faster than cards graded multiple levels above it.
Thanks for the kudo Gary. I have a different opinion. I will absolutely pay more for a card that looks better, in a lower grade, than one that doesn't look as nice in a higher grade. My guess is that it is mostly registry collectors that will pay more for a higher grade than a nicer looking card. Most collectors I see commenting on this board don't share your view (I don't think).....Nice discussion and though I gave my particular example for me I was hoping members would give their view of how/why they bid on a card. Thanks again.....(you and I have a lot of the same thoughts on cards)