View Single Post
Old 04-27-2014, 11:07 AM
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGold View Post
I bowed out of the bidding on the 52 Topps Mantle SGC 80 when it crossed $30,000. I kept thinking about the Psa 7 one that I sold for $14,000 over 10 years ago which makes it hard for me to cough up over 40 grand for a grade lower now.

On the other hand, someone out there paid over $35,000 for a PSA 4.5 a few months back.

I also bid on the lot of 36 1933 Goudey Proofs. I thought under $5,000 was a reasonable deal but I only really wanted the two Pepper Martin cards, and did not feel like having to sell off 34 others.

I always enjoy REA, but usually Heritage is where I find more of the cards I am interested in for my collection which is heavy 1930's.

Congrats to all the winners.
Ten year old prices can sure be fun to look at. When it comes to 2014 prices, though, they really aren't too helpful. I suppose bread was much cheaper ten years ago than it is today; if I refuse to buy bread today though, I might wind up starving

I was the winner of that Mantle you referenced. For me, it's really not about the sticker grade with certain cards; I believe that with some cards you can throw the numerical grade out the window; I believe that rarity in terms of eye appeal completely trumps technical assessments based on arbitrarily written grading guidelines.

I can see how viewing pricing through the prism of grades and VCP grids can make one wonder how a card with a lower grade can command far more than a higher grade. The key to processing those seemingly anomalous data points is to put focus on the cards themselves and not the holders and grades. With 1952 Mantles, a study of all past sales bears out that perfect centering and a clean blue background is much rarer than a corner that merits a grade of 6 or 7. And if one is seeking such a centered and clean-surfaced example, precious few come up for sale-- hence the competition for it and the price.

The REA example was quite nice; exhibits the usual tilt but very bright and clean in other respects. I trust the owner is very happy

Last edited by MattyC; 04-27-2014 at 11:14 AM.