View Single Post
Old 04-27-2014, 11:13 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1880nonsports View Post
feeling your pain as I was an underbidder on that lot as well although I dropped a couple bids earlier. The 1939 has been on my list a long time. I once passed at 300. or so (1995) before I was putting a "run" together and a few months ago I was offered a copy with a replaced cover for around 1000. but the replacement bothered me and I keep convincing myself I'll find a nice one at the money I want to pay or I'll do without sad as that may be to me. Needless to say I've already had to revise my buy price a few times based on market experience. Apparently the bar has been raised again after the 4000.+ showing last time out in REA and this hammer. My biggest problem in the Edwards lot was determining the value of the other half of the lot. That being said - coming up empty last few years even at 1000. - I've upped my buy price to 1500 - probably just more mental masturbation.
I spoke with another hobby publication collector last night during the auction concerning that lot. We figured about a 75% - 25% valuation on the 1939 Catalog and the 1930s Card Collectors Bulletins respectively. If that was the case then the Catalog was around 4200, with 2 additional Yearly Supplements in it. REA has gotten the top prices I have seen for these early guides. They are really scarce. We need to remember there were only 500 printed, 75 years ago. I still need a 1956 reprint of the 1953 edition if anyone has one laying around .