View Single Post
Old 04-28-2014, 02:00 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

My very last note is I think financial value is just one quality about a photograph, or anything. If I have two photos, I may know one has more financial value, while I like the other better. I may even think the cheaper one is better. Very rarely is my favorite item the most financially valuable. That Mickey Mantle cards sell for more than Willie Mays cards doesn't say Mantle was a better player (a majority would say he wasn't) or Mantle's cards are better. It just says that Mantle and Yankees players have more followers.

So the 'magical equation' has to do with pricing, not the innate qualities of photos, what one should collect or like.

My general rules are you should collect what you like, know what you are collecting and pay reasonable prices. If someone wants to collect 15 cent low grade Topps commons, that's great. It would be refreshing if more people collected 15 cent low grade Topps commons. They just shouldn't pay $25 each for them.

So the main questions about the REA acquisition are: Do you like the photo? and did you pay a fair price? If the answer is yes to both, then everything's good.

Last edited by drcy; 04-28-2014 at 02:51 PM.