View Single Post
Old 05-04-2014, 10:16 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksfan09 View Post
" The back stamping dates to the 1925-1930 period, according to what's presented in Yee/Fogel's book."

Does this make it a type 1 I'm assuming? I don't totally get how to differentiate between the generations of photos.
Well, that's the thing, a photo's "Type" designation is assigned based on whether it is from the original negative AND when the print was produced in relation to when the photo was taken. Looking at the photos you posted, I would say that it very much appears to be Original (a print produced from the original negative) unless holding it in hand reveals something that I'm not seeing in the photos. Since there are no other dating elements that I can see on the print itself other than the news service stamping, whether it is a definitive Type 1 depends on when it was shot, as the Type 1 designation requires that the photo be printed from the original negative within 2 years of when it was shot. So if you are able to nail down the date to 1928 (for example only, as I have no idea when it was actually shot), then I think you could make a strong case for it being a Type 1 as that stamping still seems to have fallen into disuse after 1930. If it was shot in 1925, it could still be a Type 1, but you wouldn't know if the print was produced in 1925-1927 (making it a Type 1) or 1928-30 (making it a Type 2 on a technicality). That's why, in cases like this, I personally tend to just refer to it as "Original" and leave it at that unless I had a way to find out the date. That's the engineer in me not wanting to argue about gray areas and always erring on the side of caution. I would have made a terrible lawyer.