View Single Post
Old 05-09-2014, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
There are a lot of things you're not considering, Jason. If you were doing a comparison of Ruth vs Mantle alone, of course Ruth would win, though you'd again have to consider context, which is not easily done when considering numbers alone. Ruth is probably the greatest hitter to ever play the game. But in his time, I think Mick's numbers will surprise you.

But we're talking baseball cards, so there's a lot more to it.

The Goudey Ruths are being printed at the very end of his career (he finished up in 1935). Goudey baseball cards were printed between 1933 and 1941. Though all four of Ruth's '33 Goudey cards are very popular, and sell for a bundle, they do not represent the iconic card from the set. Napolean Lajoie's card does. It's scarcity drives its incredible price. Ruths cards would be just below Lajoie's. The '33 Lajoie is considered one of the hobby's "big 3", along with the Plank and Wagner cards from the T206 set. Pre-war collectors could probably name a handful of Babe Ruth cards that are just as popular as his Goudey cards, including the 1932 US Caramel. In short, while all four Goudey Ruths are popular, they are not the set's iconic card, nor are they Ruth's.

Topps has been printed nonstop since 1952. And therein lies one point. Mickey Mantle's 1952 Topps card is the key card in the first ever baseball card issue from Topps. And, it is printed right after his rookie season. While the Babe was easily the most popular player in America during his time, the same could be said for Mantle during his time. And where Ruth's cards in the '33 set are extremely popular, Mantle's 1952 Topps, as you alluded to earlier, is the iconic post WW II card.

Edit, I forgot to add that Mantle's #311 is the first card of the high series (311-407). Those are more difficult to find. Another card in that series, Eddie Mathews', is quite expensive as well).

One point I do agree with you Bill, is that Ruth's goudey was in fact released later in his career, and Mantle's 1952 release was the first major issue of topps and it's an iconic set, I still don't know whether that alone, or the points you make justify a 4 to 5 times value over the Ruth. This is something that can be debated.

Also, with the other point regarding number of cards made. Interesting enough, my father collected back then, and he at one time told me the 1952 topps could be easily found everywhere, and he's confident he had a couple mantles, etc. mind you it probably found it's way to the trash, like the saying "moms threw out the cards" or whatever happened to it.

In contrast, when my grandfather was around, he was a boy around the goudey gum card era, he was a big baseball fan and all that and I am pretty sure he wouldve been into cards.... but he NEVER EVEN HEARD about or seen baseball cards, packs etc., with goudey or anything.. so I really don't know about 10x the mantles made then ruths but this makes me wonder.