Thread: May pickups
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2014, 08:10 AM
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post
Dear Matty,

Thanks for posting scans of your marvelous acquisitions. That Nolan Ryan is perfect, with its centering just the way you want it---succinctly sweet dead-centered! Without a doubt, that beauty is one of, if not, THE best card they produced in '75. The pose cropped to perfection, Nolan's intent look, the mountain in the background, the gorgeous dual colors framing it, and of course the time period---wasn't 75 the year after he had pitched 2 no-hitters for the second consecutive year? Every baseball fan in the USA knew who Nolan was by then, and he was right at the top. Awesome card.

I for one would like to know by what basis would PSA smear that great-looking Mantle with a 2.5? What does it have--50 back creases or something? The picture registry is dead-on. Since I cannot look back without destroying what I've written, I do not recall any unsightly print defects. I would say to the grader the theme song line from the old Chatter the Chimp show:

"CHATTER, WHAT'S THE MATTER WICH YOU?!!?"

---Brian Powell
Thx, Brian.

Here's a scan of the "grotesque" back of that Mantle which warrants the 2.5 grade, below. Also added a proper scan of the front as it arrived yesterday. Having owned a few of these now, this is the best front I've seen by far-- centering, focus, no PD on his face.

The issue is paper/ink fading on the left side text (by the card #, and the words "MANTLE" and "SEASON"), and some staining by bottom border.

Last edited by MattyC; 05-13-2014 at 08:13 AM.