View Single Post
Old 05-19-2014, 07:36 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
I might also add that simply owning the book won't make you an expert, as I know some collectors who do and still can't tell their Type 1's from a hole in the ground (none gave posted here, so nobody take offense). If you actually read it and exercise some common sense though, you'll be well on your way.
hmmmm.....well, I hesitate to say this, but WTH. One person who posted here contacted me on ebay to tell me that one of my photos was a modern reprint. he used Henry's book as his backing. He definitely did not know his Type 1's from a hole in the ground, and I told him as much. I even challenged him to post here on Net54 and ask your opinions. He did not.

As you say, owning the book is not enough. The fellow who contacted me on ebay made at least two mistakes in arriving at his conclusion, the most glaring being: because my photo had a more modern backstamp, he said that that fact alone defined its age. I don't own Henry's book, but I'm sure he lets his readers know that some photos are not stamped when printed, but sometimes get stamped years later. He also ignored the dated slug, fixated on that backstamp.

The book is a reference tool, not a reference for tools.