View Single Post
Old 05-24-2014, 03:27 PM
Rich Klein

Speakiong as a long-time hobbyist, the problem with your thinking John (wonka) is that SGC has done a great job getting the hobby to believe they are the go-to comnpany for pre-1948 cards.

That is great in terms of hobby imprtance but because the preponderance of cards are issued post-1945 and in fact most are much later, that gave Beckett a big edge when it came to more modern cards as when Beckett got into grading, the corporate knowledge of those cards was off the charts.

Meanwhile PSA by being their first, had built up an advantage (and the registry clinched it) with having the most overall cards graded by a wide margin,

If I'm SGC, my goal if I wanted to increase market share, which is not my decision at all, is to come up with long-term specials to re-holder cards already in PSA or BGS/BVG holders. Whatever price point works for a profit is their next move to go with improving the flip.

WHile I have a lot of respect for everyone who owns/runs a company, this decision about the flips could have (and probably should have) been made with collector input. Shoot, the pub you could have gotten from this would have been off the charts and all positive. And evem if the holder was not everyone's preferred choice, then at least we could say we were in the loop.

And wouldn't that have been a great win/win for SGC

Rich