View Single Post
Old 06-15-2014, 09:31 PM
Bill Gregory

I've never thought of pursuing this. What a cool idea. Unfortunately, I'm thinking completing an autograph collection of the 4 native Wisconsin Hall of Famers is pretty much impossible. Once you see the names, you'll know why: Al Simmons, Kid Nichols, Burleigh Grimes and Addie Joss.

I've seen examples from Simmons. He's signed photos, balls, and the occasional baseball card. And of course there are checks that he signed.

Kid Nichols isn't that difficult. I've seen cut autos of his. Also, signed index cards that have been authenticated by JSA and PSA/DNA.

The same can be said for Burleigh Grimes. He lived until 1985, when he was 92 years old. Several examples of his signature exist.

The toughie (and I'd say "toughie" is an understatement) is Addie Joss. I have never seen an example of his signature, and I'd say it would be near impossible for a private collector to obtain. I don't even know if an exemplar exists. As difficult as Shoeless Joe Jackson's signature is to acquire, I'm betting the Joss autograph makes the Shoeless Joe sig look almost common. Joss is the one that makes completing this set of 4 pretty much impossible.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.