View Single Post
Old 06-25-2014, 08:21 PM

Default First Cleveland Card or Collectible

Among other things, I am trying to obtain the first Cleveland Card or Collectible from every player that ever played for the Cleveland Indians from 1901 to present. I, too, started with the all-time roster and I am slowly working my way through all known cards and updating the list as new guys arrive or are called up from the minors. There are plenty that are known that I may never obtain due to price or scarcity, and there are plenty more for which a 'card' or collectible by any definition is unknown at present (unknown to me at least). When you throw in owners, coaches, GMs, and Managers' there are more than 2,100 to deal with thus far. I also include many players pictured on an Indians card that may not have had a professional plate appearance or inning pitched with the team (yet), but who have cards recognized as belonging to the team (distinct from cards with their minor league affiliates), such as recent Bowman draft picks, etc.. For each player I start with the oldest and nicest condition card I can find, then 'upgrade' where I can until I have an item from the first year possible for each. Then I am done with that player. In most cases this means I am opting for the first known card, such as the 1947 picture pack card of Larry Doby or the 1957 Sohio card of Roger Maris, over their more conventional and popular cards (i.e., 1949 bowman Doby and 1958 Topps Maris). There are more than 700 players on my list of unknown cards, but even that is something I hope to whittle down as I identify RPPCs, etc. that are readily available but not all catalogued. I am in it for the long haul or until I reorganize the whole thing for another project.