View Single Post
Old 07-12-2014, 12:54 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason19th View Post
While I love books and think these are great items I think that it should be made clear that the prices that booksellers list for baseball books has little to do with there value. Books listed in the high hundreds on book collector sites will often sell for $50 on ebay. I think Barry once commented that upon seeing the prices listed by one seller he quickly offered to sell him his collection at 1/2 of the listed prices and got no response

Personally I think that the steamboat would be in the 100 range and all of the other in the 50 dollar range-- (with out the auto they are $10 books)

Jason
I don't disagree with this assessment. In some cases the opposite is true. I find signed books on bookseller sights that I am able to sell for 4-5 times what they are asking for them. This happens to be early gold medal winning Olympians like James B. Connolly (first ever Olympic gold medalist), Eddie Eagan (only person to win gold in both winter and summer Olympics) and A.C.Gilbert (inventor of the Erector Set and pole vaulter).

Overall, I find their prices to be quite a bit unrealistic. I go for the exception rather than the rule and benefit from their lack of knowledge of the value outside of their expertise.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”