View Single Post
Old 07-12-2014, 06:59 AM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballdude View Post
I've always been curious about if there was actually any physical evidence that the other 204 cards were really being considered. Is there artwork somewhere for any other players, maybe letters or notes, purchase orders, anything? Maybe something still sitting in a warehouse basement somewhere? That would be an awesome discovery I would think.
I don't own any Chicle's, but do plan on getting a few, just to say I have them.

Benny Friedman would have been a good one to "stretch" into the set. I think he retired after the 1934 season, so depending on when he announced his retirement and when the cards were prepared and issued for the next season, it is conceivable he could have been added as well. Then, his card could have been pulled from future printings, because of the retirement, thereby creating a great SP rarity.
I've heard rumors of additional artwork but have never seen any. I do think the Chicle set itself gives some hints as to what National Chicle may have been planning.

For instance, the back says there would be 240 cards. There were 10 teams in the NFL in 1934 and the roster's had 25-30 players on them. Unless they were planning to make cards for every single player on every roster, it is likely they were planning to include college stars. The Rockne card supports this theory.

There is one player that is on both a card and a premium - Stan Kostka. And it's the same exact image.

This might hint at their plan to put out premium photos of some of the other players in this set. Or that the individual player premiums would later be put on cards. Individual player/coach premiums in the set include: Joe Bach, Eddie Casey, George Christensen, Red Grange, and Harry Newman.

Also interesting to note that a lot of the premiums show action shots from college games. Again, a possible hint that more college stars would be included eventually.

jeff