View Single Post
Old 07-21-2014, 11:40 AM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

Fred,

I have no idea what kind of LOA the buyer would receive, if it is a 1948 LOA, then of course MEARS is at a terrible fault, however, I'd guess (and this is MY guess) the typo was meant to say 1968 and it was in the auction listing. Is the LOA pictured on line anywhere? I'd be surprised if that is wrong, but I haven't seen it, nor am I connected in any way to MEARS.

How could it have happened? Everyone makes mistakes. I recall one auction house I wrote to had listed a WWII USMC uniform mis-identified as a WWII US Army uniform. To me, that was a totally obvious mistake. I wrote the house privately and they wrote back thanking me and changed the listing to the correct one.

You're right, there is quite a difference between a 1948 Phillies jersey as opposed to the style that followed it in 1950. To even a casual baseball person that should be evident, that's why I don't think it's that big of a deal that the mistake was made. Someone (like you) would have caught it and notified MEARS (like you did) if they didn't discover it themselves.

I'm also of the school where if you're going to lay out a large amount of cash on something, you better know what the heck you're buying. I don't collect much of anything except scorecards, but if I was to buy a 1948 Phillies jersey, I can tell you that I sure as heck would know every detail about that jersey, manufacturer and style before I pulled the trigger.

Please don't think I was calling you out or faulting you for anything, I'm not. I'm glad that there are people out there that take the time to write to the people who run these auctions to correct mistakes. It's just that it sometimes seems that some love to crow about how they caught a mistake then rush to a forum like this to make themselves feel good. I'm not saying you're doing that, it is just that this is the post that happened to be up today and it did seem like you rushed to post something before MEARS had a chance to fix it. If you were doing it simply to ask how these things happen, then that's a valid question that MEARS will have to give the answer for.