View Single Post
Old 08-02-2014, 09:36 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmcjfc View Post
Went to the National today with a pocket full of cash ready to spend. Came back home with a pocket full of cash. I don't mind paying a 10% premium or so for the convenience of buying in person, but most cards I got cash prices on were more like 30-60% over market value, some up to 100%. It's still worth the $20 entry fee and the time to check things out, but I'll do my card shopping elsewhere.

I've been to a dozen + Nationals over the past two dozen + years, and I have virtually never paid the initial asking price for a card I wanted if I thought it was overpriced. I just can't bring myself to do it, no matter how bad I want it. I am not a deep-pocket spender, but I have found that most dealers who have overpriced cards that I want are willing to reduce their prices, often quite significantly, after some discussion, especially once they realize I am aware as to what the realistic going prices are for the cards in question.

Keep in mind that most dealers are quite aware of Net54, and many are members, although you may not see them posting very often - so, I always ask for a "Net54 discount," which usually works. Also, many of the dealers have their inventory on eBay, and I am often able to recognize cards that interest me that have outlandish (IMHO) BINs on eBay - but these dealers don't have to pay eBay & PayPal fees when they sell their cards at the National, which should result in "automatic" discounts for starters. To me, it's like buying a new car - the sticker price is meaningless!

For example, today, I bought a card at the National that I have wanted badly for a long time - it has been an overprice $475 BIN on eBay forever. I had a nice conversation with this dealer and explained why I thought it was overpriced, especially in comparison to similar cards he has on eBay. He looked something up in his computer and then asked me if I was the person who offered him $175 for this card via eBay over a year ago - I responded that yes, I am the guy. He thought a bit, and then said I could have the card for $200 - I said "sold." Interestingly, this dealer didn't even have this with him card at the Show, so his mailing cost is included in the $200. Yes, this card may still be a bit overpriced at $200, but it is a scarce card (a Zeeenut with a tab of a certain player who was on the 1924 Senators team, one of my collecting focuses) that I wanted badly, so I am a happy camper!

The bottom line is, there are good/decent deals to be had, but you usually have to do a bit of "work" to get them!

Hope all that attended the National had as much fun as I did!

Val Kehl