View Single Post
Old 08-04-2014, 07:30 AM
Mark Danner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATSR View Post
This was my first national in about 10 years. Here are two things I'll never understand:
1. Dealers who only have tables full of unorganized 10 cent cards. How many of those do you have to sell just to pay expenses?
2. People sitting at these tables digging through the 10 cent cards. There has to be a better way to fill whatever list you're working on.

I probably spent more at this show than I've ever spent at any other show. But I was mainly working on 60s-70s sets in ExMt-NrMt. Definitely got better deals than on eBay.

I also spent at least a few dollars every place I saw a kid who was borrowing some table space from dad.
I ended up having much better luck in the ten cent box than most anywhere else. Most of it was timing, as a guy pulled out a 5k box of 70's cards from under the table just as I was walking by. Stopped, sat down for a while, and came away with lots of great stuff. Spent probably $80 there. Plus talking to the other guys there was great, and that dealer was one of the best. My other favorite table at the show was the guy selling old press pictures and publications. I was at his table at least 4 times Sat-Sun and bought more each time. He had some really interesting stuff and was great to talk to.
My hunt for t210's was an absolute waste of time. only about 6 or so dealers had any at all, and only 2 had a total of 3 from my series 4. Those were so overpriced I didn't even bother to make an offer. Almost triple the going rate. and those were the Sunday prices, I can only imagine what they were asking early in the week. Still ended up spending about what I budgeted, but certainly not on the things I had intended to spend it on.