View Single Post
Old 08-07-2014, 06:43 AM

I am offering a correction, and an explanation for a confusing aspect of the program that you are trying to sell.

The Brooklyn Base Ball Club did not become known as the Robins until they were managed by Wilbert Robinson beginning in 1914, thus the title of this thread should be changed. Informally, the team was known in 1889 as the Bridegrooms, or sometimes as the Grays. The Dodgers nickname seems to have arisen in the 1890s.

Regarding the opposing team in this program, the New York Metropolitan Base Ball Club was a member of the American Association (along with Brooklyn) from 1883 until 1887, after which they disbanded. In 1889, the club re-organized as a semi-professional team, and most of the players on the new team had played for the AA Mets. (All of the listed men on the scorecard except for Carsey and possibly Morrison had been on the AA team.) I have copied below an excerpt from the SABR biography of Ed Kennedy:

Kennedy would return to Lowell in 1888, but in 1889 he would join "Chief" Roseman, Nelson, Lynch, Sam Crane, Becannon, Riepslegar and others in reorganizing the New York Metropolitans. Kennedy would be in left field when the Mets played their first game against a picked nine on March 23, 1889 . The original plan had been to organize as a stock company but June reports list them as a co-operative team. By June, accounts of Mets games would begin to appear with Kennedy no longer playing.

Thus the program is for an exhibition game between the Brooklyn Bridegrooms of the AA and the semi-professional New York Mets prior to June, 1889.

I hope that this information is helpful for potential buyers.

Last edited by RUKen; 08-07-2014 at 06:44 AM.