View Single Post
Old 08-17-2014, 10:21 AM

Default Negro league HOF Frank Grant 1886 Buffalo season scrapbook

I just picked this up off of ebay and I cannot think of a find I have been more excited about. In 1886 Frank Grant the great black player of the late 1800's and 2006 HOF had his rookie season in the white high minors. Many forget that up until 1888 there was a strong black presence on integrated teams with such luminaries as Grant, Bud Fowler, George Stovey playing and playing well. Grant started the 1886 season in the Eastern League and then moved up to Buffalo and the International League (which was just below the majors) and batted in the 340's as a 20 year old on a veteran team. This scrapbook is the nearly complete local coverage for the team from season start to end. I am still going through all of the game recaps but what is amazing is that there is little notice of Grant as black or any notion of problems. To the contrary he is clearly a fan favorite (a guess talent has always broken down barriers) and team star. Even when he screws up the mistake is mentioned in light of all of the good he has done. One of the clips below (sorry that are hard to read) notes "There was a loud cheer when Grant came to the plate. For once the phenomenon was unequal to the task." There are few collectibles of Grant (no cards or postcards) and I count myself very lucky for picking this up. I will try to post more scan latter

Jason
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grant1A.jpg (10.4 KB, 415 views)
File Type: jpg grant2A.jpg (16.4 KB, 413 views)
File Type: jpg grant3A.jpg (12.6 KB, 413 views)
File Type: jpg grant4A.jpg (18.3 KB, 412 views)