View Single Post
Old 08-28-2014, 03:18 PM
Matt

I agree that the most perfect 10s out there, that are truly GEM MT, are great cards. I also concur that the difference between those GEM MT cards and the most elite 9s is so small in terms of card quality, and so huge in terms of price, that it makes the 9s much, much better values to me. And I extrapolate that to apply to any card that jumps up enormously in price in GRADE X; I'd rather find one that looks identical, close to it, or even better in GRADE X-Y.

The bottom line for me is that this Aaron scenario proves (as so many other cases do; the last Brett 10 on ebay comes to mind) that there are guys spending huge money thinking they have the best card, when in fact they do not.

It's all about not being blinded by the number on the sticker, and trusting one's own eyes.

A TPG label is just an opinion. Sometimes the grade they assign matches the card, sometimes it's stingy, and other times it is overly generous. Other times it conforms to arbitrarily codified definitions that were made long ago, without the input of many collectors.

Last edited by MattyC; 08-28-2014 at 03:23 PM.