View Single Post
Old 09-03-2014, 06:29 AM
Larry More.y

Over the past 15 years I have built my collection, at little to no cost, by buying vintage lots/sets/accumulations on ebay, pulling out the cards I wanted for my collection, and reselling the remaining cards in order to cover my costs. Leon's advice was spot on, any profit is made on the purchasing end of things....it boils down to buying smart which for me includes understanding both what I am buying and what it is worth.

Reselling the cards as singles on ebay at fixed prices has been my most effective mode of selling. For this year, I am on pace to sell about 2.5 times my typical inventory level. The quicker I can rotate my inventory, the lower my pct of ebay/pp fees to sales will be. This year (with a little help from free listings), my total ebay and PP expenses combined are less than 20% of my sales. Two years ago, I had a higher inventory level and my rate of sale was less as I only turned my inventory about 1.5 times that year. My ebay/pp expense % of sales was closer to 25% that year.

Developing an effective system/process for listing cards, storing cards, and shipping them will allow you to do more with less time. Most sellers have their own systems in place based on what works best for them.

If you do not want to waste your time with such a venture, ensure you buy smart, research your sell price to ensure both liquidity and profit, work efficiently, and, most importantly, treat the people who buy from you right.

Last edited by savedfrommyspokes; 09-03-2014 at 06:30 AM.