View Single Post
Old 09-24-2014, 08:54 AM
Dave Grob

Default Faces in The Crowd and Photographic Identification

Reading these posts about identifying individuals in photographs is something new to me as my research and collecting focus has always been on uniforms. The process and protocols involved in identifying individuals in photographs however, is not something I am unfamiliar with. Off line I have shared some techniques and protocols with Mark Fimoff that I hope to expound upon with him as time becomes available.

One thing the community might want to start evaluating in equal measure to the comparison of facial characteristics is an assessment of context. Photographs contain vast amounts supplemental data contained on/in them that give context to the setting or event that was captured on film and it is this contextual information that needs to be consistent with what we know about the purported subject.

1. Does the time (date or date range) make sense given what we know about the purported subject? What is the basis for what we know about the purported subject at this time?

2. What do we know about the location, pose, setting, or other individuals, as well as what they appear to be doing and does this make sense given what we know about the purported subject based on the time frame established?
In short, why would “You Pick a Famous Guy” be in this picture to begin with and what contextual information actually supports it being the same individual? How is all of this corroborated?

When statements are made to the effect that “there is evidence to suggest he was in…” or “the possibility exists that he was…” then it is reasonable for the person espousing this to be expected to provide that information so it can be considered and evaluated as well. In the absence of any work done along these lines, then you are working with an incomplete picture (no pun intended).

In working with a protocol that calls for both facial characteristics and contextual references to be evaluated in equal measure you then have created the ability to quantify your opinion in some demonstrative manner (my apologies for the rather ham handed gradient graphic) that address two important issues at hand.

As always, just something to consider.
Dave Grob
DaveGrob1@aol.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Slide1.JPG (57.2 KB, 173 views)