View Single Post
Old 09-26-2014, 11:09 AM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Lance, the problem is that some people have to have a 'Type' designation for the photo or they don't want the photo - PSA authentication is what makes the print 'real' for them. And before anyone busts my balls - I'm not bashing PSA and I'm not saying ALL collectors. Just some. So if PSA won't give an opinion, it makes the photo phony. My Zack Wheat mounted Conlon is a perfect example - PSA can't see the back, so my understanding is that they can't render an opinion....so to potential buyers, it is not 'real'. So declining to offer an opinion is problematic. Not for me (other than if it involves a customer), but for people who need their authentication.
Scott, I fully agree that the "no opinion = fake or worthless" mindset is all too prevalent among novice collectors, and have had to take returns as well because of it. I don't blame PSA for the collector's ignorance though, or want them to start guessing on authentication of ambiguous photos just to keep their "No Opinion" count down. Maybe add a note of explanation for why an opinion was not rendered (Is that already done? I don't have an example of a No Opinion letter on hand to verify), but not go out on limbs with their written opinions.

Basically, the collector's ignorance regarding what they are collecting and/or why a TYPE was not assigned is the problem, not the absence of a rendered opinion.

Last edited by thecatspajamas; 09-26-2014 at 11:12 AM.