View Single Post
Old 10-08-2014, 03:05 PM
Brendan Mullen

Default Hughie Jennings, Ty Cobb autographs; help needed!

Any help would be greatly appreciated! This bat originally came with a 2001 James Spence COA that ALL autographs on this bat (Labeled "1916-17 Detroit Base Ball Club") were authentic. I have the COA. However, the auction house I purchased it from said that James Spence re-evaluated it and ONLY the Hughie Jennings was authentic. I posted pics on the main page and I've had people opine that NONE of the signatures are authentic. However, behind the scenes via private message, I've had 2 long-standing members tell me that ALL of the signatures could be authentic due to the medium used (wood/bat) and that it may have been difficult for the players to sign the bat. For the record, I have ZERO PROBLEM returning the bat and asking for my money back. What puzzles me is that 1. The Donie Bush looks ok to me, 2. The Oscar Stanage looks ok to me, and 3. If someone were trying to fake a Ty Cobb autograph, why does it look nothing like his genuine signature?? Think about it....if you are trying to fake Ty Cobb's autograph, why not at least make it look like his genuine signature?? Could it be that it is genuine, and was just a little difficult to sigh on wood/a bat? I'm kind of lost, and any and all help would be appreciated (again). (I originally posted these pics on the main page and were told to move them here for more opinions.) Thanks!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bat 3.jpg (11.6 KB, 405 views)
File Type: jpg bat 4.jpg (12.1 KB, 404 views)
File Type: jpg bat 1.jpg (74.6 KB, 404 views)
File Type: jpg bat 2.jpg (10.4 KB, 403 views)
File Type: jpg bat 6.jpg (13.3 KB, 404 views)
File Type: jpg bat 7.jpg (14.4 KB, 405 views)
File Type: jpg bat 9.jpg (14.0 KB, 404 views)
File Type: jpg bat 11.jpg (13.9 KB, 404 views)