Thread: Winston and JSA
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2014, 06:08 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
I was not aware of that.

I don't think it's right, as long as the job performance didn't suffer. But if the rule is known and applied evenly that seems fair. I'm guessing it wasn't explained to you at all since you seem like a guy who'd follow the rules. (Of course, we were all different people in college than we are now )
I have always, for the most part, been a 'rules follower'. I think it's what holds society together. If you want to be part of a society, you follow the rules that are 'reasonable' or you do something to change them. In that instance the technical rule was 'no university job' if you have an assistantship. So I became a bartender.

Quote:
Ultimately, I think at least a call to the submitter to let him know he's putting himself and the player in a bad position would be appropriate.
At the very least, in my opinion. It's just ethical.

Quote:
I don't know enough about it to know if the act of signing itself is illegal. I don't think the NCAA rules are quite the same as laws. But if it was done somewhere that has a law against getting a college player to risk elegibility that might be enough to make it illegal. ----Interesting, illegal to host a legal activity.........I'm assuming that if for instance Winston himself signed 900 photos and put them away until after his college career that would be ok. Or if he did the signing and the photos weren't to be sold until after his elegibility? Pretty narrow window between that and the draft, but it might make sense.

Steve B
It's actually very clear - he can't sign for profit, or for others to profit. Certainly, signing 900 items would be suspicious. And as soon as the dealer sells one, Winston becomes guilty.

Not sure about squirreling them away for after eligibility ends. Very interesting loophole, as there could be a deal between Winston, the dealer and JSA stating that nothing gets sold until that point.