View Single Post
Old 10-21-2014, 09:43 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbspelly View Post
I think it would be great if eBay had an automatic markdown system like Filene's used to have. After 14 days, the price drops. Another 14 days, another drop. Etc. Or perhaps eBay could start increasing the listing fee the longer something has remained unsold. I know there are some logistical issues to these ideas (what's to stop someone from just starting a listing all over again), but I just find it really annoying when sellers use eBay as a perpetual show window for overpriced items they really don't have much interest in selling. I don't see how it is in eBay's interest, either.
If dealer's could stay in business with such a system, I'm sure they would be fine with it. But if they could not, they would leave ebay.

All anyone is looking for is a fair playing field with a fee structure that allows a reasonable profit. You also need to keep in mind that not all sellers possess the same business sense or skills - some have hit on workable formulas, while some have not. I don't know if the guys with 100% mark-ups are making money or not. I know that some accept very discounted offers and I know that some do not. I also know that some who do not have been in business for many, many, many years, so they are doing something right.